Tagum’s Kagikan Exhibit pays tribute to original settlers
The Kagikan Exhibit formally opened on February 23, 2015 at the Gaisano Mall of Tagum Atrium, showcasing Tagum City’s three original settlers: the indigenous peoples (lumads), the muslims and the pioneer migrant pilgrims who came from the northern islands of Luzon, Cebu, Bohol, Iloilo and Leyte.
These are the tri-people inhabitants of the city which are being highlighted and acknowledged for the first time since the foundation of Tagum as a political and territorial subdivision in the past seventy years.
The City Information Office spearheads this year’s annual exhibit, and the show’s opening was witnessed by the Indigenous Peoples Mandatory Representatives to the city’s 23 barangays, with members of cultural communities and Muslims dressed colorfully in traditional clothes. Direct descendants of early settlers graced the occasion and expressed gratitude for this touching tribute to their forefathers.
The exhibit showcased traditional wears, utensils, musical instruments and tribal accessories of both ethnic and Muslim communities based on written accounts of early migrants who came to Tagum in the years 1900 to 1939 when it was still a municipal district of the Davao Province.
Traditional food prepared by the lumads and Muslims were offered to the visitors.
The exhibit will run until March 7, 2015 in time for the 17th Araw ng Tagum celebration.
Recommended For You.
- Star Cinema’s “Love you to the stars and back” on SKY PPV this Valentine -
- SKY offers subscribers access to four online streaming services -
- SKY Pay-Per-View Opens the Year with Movie Offerings -
- Gabrielle Gross: Sweet 16 singer-songwriter -
- Phoenix Petroleum showcases Mindanaoan roots through art exhibit in Davao -
- Enjoy Super Family Bonding with SKY Direct Christmas Promo -
- Hayahi Faces Undefeated Magsayo in Pinoy Pride 43, on SKY PPV -
- Star Cinema on SKY Pay-per-view brings #ASHLLOYD to the small screen -
- “100 Tula Para Kay Stella” Premieres on television via SKY Movies PPV -
- Misto offers something to drink, to indulge, and to take home this ‘Ber’ season -