29 candidates are flying in to Davao City today, January 19, 2017 as part of the Miss Universe ancillary events for the live pageant set in Manila on January 29, 2017.
The candidates are the following:
1. ARGENTINA | Estefania Bernal | 5’8″
2. AUSTRIA | Dajana Szinic | 5’8″
3. BELGIUM | Stephanie Geldof | 5’8″
4. BULGARIA | Violina Ancheva | 5’8″
5. CHINA | Zhenyin Li | 5’10”
6. CZECH REPUBLIC | Andrea Bezdekova | 5’9′
7. ECUADOR | Connie Jimenez | 5’9″
8. GUYANA | Soyini Fraser | 5’10”
9. HONDURAS | Sirey Moran | 5’9′
10. HUNGARY | Veronika Bódizs | 5’8″
11. INDIA | Roshmitha Harimurthy | 5’9′
12. INDONESIA | Kezia Warouw | 6’
13. KAZAKHSTAN | Rulsitova Darina | 5’8″
14. MEXICO | Kristal Silva Davila | 5’8″
15. MYANMAR | Htet Htet Tun | 5’7″
16. NAMIBIA | Lizelle Esterhuizen | 6’
17. NIGERIA | Unoaku Anyadike | 6’
18. PARAGUAY | Andrea Melgarejo | 5’7″
19. PHILIPPINES | Maxine Medina | 5’8″
20. RUSSIA | Yuliana Korolkova | 5’7″
21. SINGAPORE | Cheryl Chou | 5’7″
22. SIERRA LEONE | Hawa Kamara | 5’7″
23. SLOVAK REPUBLIC | Zuzana Kollarova | 5’8″
24. SWITZERLAND | Dijana Cvijetic | 5’7″
25. TANZANIA | Jihan Dimack | 5’9″
26. TURKEY | Tansu Cakir | 5’8″
27. UKRAINE | Alena Spodynyuk | 5’9″
28. USA | Deshauna Barber | 5’9″
29. VENEZUELA | Mariam Habach | 6’
The candidates will be welcomed at the airport in the morning and brought to a popular tourist destination to enjoy what Davao has to offer.
They will then be preparing for a fashion show gala entitled Mindanao Tapestry, featuring beautifully crafted gowns created by our local fashion designers using distinct and unique weaves of the islands at the SMX Convention Center Davao. Tickets are available in SM Lanang Premier at the Phoenix Photo booth (contact nos. 0917.893.8258).
The pre-show at the foyer will start at 5:00 pm featuring local models on the runway with the attires created by ten fashion designers representing the region.
For the main show, candidates will be donning the works of Rene Salud, Silverio Anglacer, Emi Englis, Kenny Lagada, Alfonso “Boy” Guinoo, Aztec Barba, Benjie Panizales, Dojie Batu, Edgar Buyan, Wilson Limon, and Egay Ayag.
Designers at the foyer show will be Ronnie Nacua, Toffy Ledesma, Gil Macaibay, Mark Yaranon, Bamba Limon, Nicky de Asis, Richie Uy Delos Santos, Steffy Dacalus, Joey Hambala, Grand Crizzel Ravacio, Pepe Quitco, Che Aranjuez, Mark Sayad, Ivan Raborar, Wilfred Yee, Akmad Kari Jr. , and Saidali Abdilla Jr.
In recent developments, fashion designers Gil Macaibay and Mark Yaranon of Region 10 are backing out due to the unfortunate flood incident in their area.
This event is brought to you by lead presentor Phoenix Petroleum, Metro Shuttle, Eden Nature Park, Park Inn by Radisson Davao, SM Lanang, SMX Convention Center and the Fashion Designers Guild of Davao. Partners Department of Tourism, LGU-Davao and the Philippine National Police are coordinating for a smooth and efficient handling of the candidates in time for their departure in the evening.
For more details and updates, visit the Official Facebook page
The author is a multi-awarded photographer, journalist, and artist whose works are featured in tourism campaigns (It’s More Fun in the Philippines), covers and spreads of books and international magazines. A long time columnist of SunStar Davao, she is a frequent traveler in search of inspirational heartwarming stories of human interest. She is also an influencer and motivational speaker who gives photography workshops in universities and organizations. A former TV personality, she has done several print and TV commercials, event hosting and speaking engagements. In 2013, she has received an award from the City Government of Davao for her significant contribution in the social media. She was one of the speakers in Photo World Asia 2017. A web designer/blogger since the 90s, she has seen the evolution of the internet and social media transition from the perspective of a traditional media person.